Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Murdoch Uni Rowing Club






For some strange reason I cannot explain... trying rowing (as in Oxford & Cambridge style rowing) has always appealed to me (?!).

Anke has often suggested we go kayaking & we have some friends who are mad about kayaking but it has just never appealed to me! Anyway, I must have mused on it out loud once too often while watching an 8 slipping along quietly down the river one misty morn... & Anke, bless her heart, emailed me one day a few months ago saying "Murdoch Uni has a Learn to Row Course starting tomorrow morning... what do you think?!" Oh dear... there was no backing out now!

So here we are, a few months later... both of us getting up an the ungodly hour of 5:30am every Saturday to go rowing! And it is bloody freezing at the moment I can tell you.... the grass & the water both sting like hell in this weather! But having said that, there is something oddly serene about it too... something almost "cultured" & sophistacetd & relaxing... well, when you're not racing that is - then it's as frantic as hell! We have both had our first Regatta at Champion Lakes in Armadale... I'll use the excuse that "Murdoch is really more of a social Rowing Club than a serious one" to explain our rather tardy performance... bringing up the rear of the field! That's Anke in "bow" & me in "7 Seat" in the long shot of the 8.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home