Monday, April 09, 2007

There's an Owl in our gum tree!


I was mowing the lawn when I noticed what looked like bird droppings in one particular patch of my lawn... and when I looked up into the branches my big gum tree, low & behold... an owl! Yes, an owl! Checking in my "Field Guide to Birds of Australia" it turned out to be a Boobook owl, which despite the fact that it says they are 'common', I've certainly never seen in the metro area before (well, except in a zoo!) so I was quite excited... it is one cute bird I tell you!

Nearly 3 weeks later it is still there... it shifts branches very day or so but seems quite happy sitting there all day & then flys off looking for food at night... and judging by the amount of droppings ('scat' I think they call it!) it's obviously finding plenty to eat!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home