Friday, July 01, 2011

On yer bike!



OK... so yes, it's true. I've become a MOMIL!  What's a MOMIL you ask? A Middle Aged Man in Lycra! Earlier this year I started riding around the river 3 times a week with my good friend Charlie and the next thing you know I'd enrolled in a Cycle Skills Course at Perth Integrated Health (thanks to Anke's diligence... using her esteemed research skills to find a good one for me... without me even asking!) which meant I found myself out there 5 & 6 times a week.  So now I've turned into one of those people I used to hate (used to? I think I still do!) when they came clacking in like a flock of seagulls with their noisy "click clack" & bulging lycra shorts intent on to destroying my peaceful morning coffee!  Of course I should have started years ago but now I'm into it & loving it (& trying to keep the momentum these cold, dark, winter mornings!) and even did the full 80kms Cyclo Sportiff ride in the Swan Valley with Anke last weekend... I reckon I should have got 96kms credit as the start line was 8km from the velodrome but hey, even 80 was an achievement - you couldn't have got me to do half of that this time last year! 

And of course, you have to LOOK the part as well so after getting started on Anke's old Trek Hybrid, then doing a few months on my neice Melissa's old Leggera Carbon.... after spending some time drooling over the "latest" Factor 10 Carbon options... with Shimano Ultegra (of course!) & out I went & bought myslef a beautiful new Specilaized Roubaix SL3 racing bike... and god she's nice! 

See you out on the road...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home