Friday, October 16, 2009

Life is full interesting situations... like yesterday!



I've had some strange things happen in the shop over the years... & some of the more "interesting" expereinces have been with people trying to sell me instruments that I either knew or have strongly suspected were stolen.  Yesterday was one of those days... with a twist! 

Having been at the shop since 7:00am in morning to meet the tradies renovating the shop & dismantle some old shelving, I didn't mind being interrupted by one of the boys just after 9am saying "there's a guy here wants to sell a saxophone..." . It was a Yamaha YTS-62 Professional Model Tenor sax in excellent condition & as a Licensed 2nd Hand Dealer (as you have to be to buy or trade-in 2nd hand musical instruments) I was definitely interested... you just don't get many good 2nd hand saxes, especially Professional models. But something didn't feel right...

The guy selling it needed "cash" (or a cash cheque... which we just don't do) & said the sax "used to belong to my Dad... who passed away recently..." & that it was left to him in the Will... but he didn't seem to know anything about where his Dad had played or who with... which I thought was strange.  My suspicion sufficiently aroused, I checked futher & he said it was "about 6 years old..." but I had noticed that it had the latest Yamaha G1 neck on it as well as a new model of case... both of which have only available in the past 2 or 3 years.  It was only then I remembered that only last week I had been asked to order the exact same model sax for a customer of RAC who had one stolen... things were adding up... that was just too big a coincidence. I went to my office & called the RAC to check if they had a serial number of the stolen instrument & bingo... it WAS the same sax! Next? A quick call to the Wembley Police Station & then go back & try & keep our friend relaxed talking (not so easy!).

A long few minutes went by as I tried to act helpful & noncholant while I also pretend to call the Bank to "see if you can get it cashed..."  & the next thing you know  the Police turn up.... but with a whole TV Crew in tow!  They were from the show "The Force" & as luck would have it, they happened to be at Wembley Station when my call came through!  The Police set about doing what they do best with all cameras blazing & after an interview & taking quite a bit of footage they left with our dodgy saxophone seller & bundled him into the back of a paddy wagon!  Oh well... excitement over it's back to reality - I had to go back & finish off dismantling the shelving! I'll let you know if it makes to air!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Viv Rivett said...

Wow, what a thing to happen! Great you got some photos of it all. You just never know what's around the corner, eh?

7:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AH i just saw this run last night. How ironic, that guy who was trying to pull a swifty worked at Cash Convertors in Belmont many years ago. He was the guy who would haggle with people to sell or loan stuff. Ha ha...Karma.

Good on you mate. We need more people like you Graham.

10:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home